Health and Wealth In Today’s Workplace
At long last, find the working world is waking up to a simple truth: happy and healthy teams consistently produce brilliant work. To many people, decease this may seem obvious, but it’s staggering how many employers are yet to realise that an overwhelmingly positive workplace culture is the foundation of a strong and profitable business.
After being named ‘Leader of the Year’ at the Guardian Sustainable Business Awards, I’ve been approached by many business owners and journalists asking how I manage to fill the team’s calendar up with yoga, meditation, massages and early finishes, yet still deliver great work on time.
Asking this question is, arguably, missing the point: it’s precisely because of Agent’s wellbeing initiativesthat we’re able to maintain the focus, energy and sense of team spirit that underpins all the work we do. Staying sharp and focused allows people to use their time effectively, and stay highly productive throughout the day.
So, without further ado, here’s some tips on how to foster an outstanding workplace culture.
1. Make your space somewhere that feels good. Only in an energetic, varied and positive environment can people feel relaxed enough to come up with fresh ideas that delight clients and change the world.
2. Share your resources, and your space. An open-door policy turns your office into a destination, somewhere colleagues and clients actively want to spend time. It also encourages co-working and cross-pollination of talents, ideas and ways of thinking.
3. Help your team stay healthy! At Agent we have a bike fleet that everyone is welcome to use, resulting in half of the team cycling in every day and arriving fit, fresh, and ready to work. We’re proud to support The 20 Effect’s mission to get more people walking and cycling.
4. Wellbeing is the way forward. At Agent we have daily meditation sessions, weekly yoga sessions and monthly massages. This keeps everyone feeling positive and healthy, which keeps Agent’s rate of absenteeism at zero, and contributes to our remarkably low staff turnover rate. We’re proud to have been accredited by health@work for following their pioneering Workplace Wellbeing Charter.
5. Recognise that your community needs you, and you need your community. What goes around comes around, and the more you voluntarily offer up your services to great local causes, the better you’ll feel about the work you do and the more your community will respect you. At Agent we regularly carry out pro-bono work, and many of the team are board members of local social enterprises and charities.
These are just some of the ways that you can create the conditions for an outstanding workplace culture. You could also consider bringing in a dog… Leo, our dedicated poodle and Head of Security, does a superb job of keeping the atmosphere lively and making sure each and every visitor gets a warm (and loud) welcome.
And remember: if you want to pop in to Agent and hear more, or come and work from our office for a day, you’re more than welcome. Our door is always open.